Like it or not, Donald Trump is the President Elect of this country. Was he the best choice? I honestly don’t know. Was he the worst choice? Apparently not. Was he my choice? Yes. And here’s why…
- People are tired; especially, the working class people who don’t qualify for government assistance or tax breaks. These are the people (of all races, religions and sexual orientations) who go to work every day but don’t quite make enough to be comfortable. These are the people who struggle to put their kids through college or to make sure all the bills are paid every single month. These are the people whose children are grown, whose houses are paid for, who now pay more in taxes because they lost all their deductions. These are the people who finally got to retirement and realized the government taxes you on the social security you draw. These people are tired of continually paying into a system that is so obviously broken they can’t see a way to make it right. They want a system that works. They want a system that is fair. And they believe Trump can give it to them.
- People want real healthcare, not just free birth control. I have friends who use Obamacare. Their premiums are outrageous. The deductible is ridiculous. And most doctors won’t take it because it doesn’t pay. I also have friends who are self-employed who can’t afford it. So, they are penalized for not having coverage. Our lives are controlled by insurance providers and it needs to stop. Give us something that makes sense.
- People want their guns. It’s just that simple. The Constitution gave people the right to bear arms and they don’t want to lose that right. Go away Democrats and leave the guns alone.
- People want LEGAL immigrants. Now, this gets really touchy, but I would like to understand how people who are upset about the wall (which I don’t believe will happen) think the flood of illegal immigrants impacts our economy. These people sneak through our borders and take jobs and housing away from our citizens. They obtain illegal documents that they then use to receive welfare and food stamps and medicaid. Their children are in our schools without ever paying one dime. The list of issues is long. People don’t have a problem with anybody moving to the US. However, if you want to live here do it legally.
- People want a country who doesn’t lay down to terrorism. They want a president who would have sent help to Benghazi. They want a president who isn’t afraid to stand up and say we aren’t going to take it any more. Does that mean they want Mr. Trump to push the button or round up all the Muslims? No. What is does mean is they’re tired of looking like a bunch of wimps in front of the world. We claim to be the most powerful nation with the most powerful army, but we surely don’t act like it. People want a president with backbone. People want to go to sleep at night knowing our borders are safe and we won’t be attacked before the sun rises.
- People want the real FBI back. Not this watered-down version of law enforcement, but the agency in charge of protecting the federal laws of this land.
This list pretty much sums up why I voted for Trump. But there are somethings I want to clarify.
- I am not a racist. I don’t care what color you are if you come to me with respect then I will return it to you. Just like I, as a white woman, am not supposed to judge people based on their race, I would expect the same. Stop implying that all white people are racists.
- I don’t care about your sexual orientation. LGBTQ or whatever letter I may have left out, that’s your business. Get married. Don’t. Become a boy or a girl. Hold hands in public. I really just don’t care. Some people do. However, I hope this President has more important things to worry about.
- Practice whichever religion you would like. Just don’t deny me the same.
- I promise to be offended for you if I see a man grab your crotch in public. In fact, I promise to intervene if I see it happen. I’m not trying to make light of rape, just letting you know a Trump supporter does know this isn’t right.
- I promise not to call you names or say things implying that you are ignorant. I promise not to burn your car or house or the local Wal-Mart. I have seen more hatred spewed by Hillary supporters in the past week than by any Trump supporters and it breaks my heart to see how divided people are.
Let me finish with this:
I have heard Trump compared to Hitler (among other things). I think people are forgetting that he does not have absolute power over the citizens of this country. We have checks and balances in place. We are all capable of thinking and acting for ourselves. We must learn from the past and work toward our future, not dwell on what could have been.